Yesterday we decided to do an experiment. We took a thermometer that we know to be fairly accurate and put it in my SUV. In the short time it would take to check in a pet here at Pet’s Companion Inn, about 2 minutes, and chat a moment, we checked the temperature.
What we discovered was amazing!
PLEASE, PLEASE, NEVER LEAVE YOUR PET IN A CAR! No, not even to “just run inside for a minute”. Your car is more than just transportation. It can become an oven, and a death trap. In a couple of minutes it was over 100°. Within 20 minutes it was literally off the scale…over 140°. Heat stroke and death by overheating is a horrible way for life to come to an end. It is preventable. Take your pet with you when you leave your car.
Under the best of circumstances there are three things your pet needs to survive; SHADE, WATER, VENTILATION. When one of these is missing tragedy is imminent. Avoid the sun when walking your dog. Take water along for both you and your pet. Avoid any surface that would be hot to your feet. Remember, your dog is barefooted, and heat soaked surfaces will burn his pads. Our dogs are devoted to us and will do whatever we do. Think twice on these 90°+ days about requiring him/her to run when you run. Heat stroke can sneak up on a dog pretty quickly. Just don’t take a chance. Enjoy a long and happy relationship with your pet by keeping him safe, cool and comfortable this summer.